Augmented Reality in Art and the Art Room

We all at some point have experienced Augmented Reality (AR), but some of us do not even realize it! From watching football on TV, the little yellow arrows and markings they make on the field, we know they are not really there, but when we watched televised games this is an example of AR. Utilizing various social media platforms, and the comprised filters also are considered AR. Who knew?

What is Augmented Reality?



Piktochart link for better viewing of the displayed infographic. 


Augmented Reality in Art

Technology has pushed its way into all other areas of our daily lives, and the art world is no exception; augmented reality is hitting the art world in various ways, which include, actual artwork developed within AR (like installations, or taking a 2D painting to a 3D), museum experiences, and so much more! 

Artists are now able to implement their artworks, but incorporate technology features so it becomes an Augmented Reality experience, taking a 2D experience into a 3D. For example, artist Yunuen Esparza of New York, developed a whole art show based of 2D painted work, and when viewers look at her artwork with her App, they see a whole other type of experience with Augmented Reality. Check out this brief minute and a half video: 


Not only are gallery artists incorporating AR into their art shows, and artwork, but muralist as well. DJ King Britt (yes, DJ, as in musical DJ), and Joshua Mays worked together in Philadelphia to create the cities first Augmented Reality, multimedia, experience with a musical piece as well. 


Click here for the link to the article with a more in-depth explanation. 

And another major augmented reality art takeover...literally, happened with the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art in NYC). Local artist took over the museum in a sense through 'hacking' and called it MOMAR; an augmented reality experience when in the MOMA. It takes over classic Jackson Pollock pieces, and it completely replaces frames in other cases, depending on what the graphic artist was depicting or how they animated it. Linked below is the article and MOMAR link so you can see the 'takeover' overlay of the MOMA. 

Other Art Augmented Reality Apps Include: 

Augmented Reality in the Art Classroom

After searching how I could truly start incorporating or implementing even in small strides, more technology, and more specifically, the emerging trend (Augmented Reality) I researched into my content area, Art, I came across an article by Tracy Hare. Tracy listed four great augmented reality apps, two of which could easily be implemented in my classroom without any preparation those are Color ALIVE! by Crayola, and what was once known as coLAR, but now Quiver: 3D coloring App. Both of these apps allow the user to color a picture in real time, or virtually and then have them augmented reality flipped, so they come to life. After seeing the Crayola, Color ALIVE app I realized, that this was familiar to me already! As a parent I have two toddler children that love to color, these augmented reality coloring books fill my children's art supply basket, and can even be found at the Dollar Tree frequently featuring their favorite characters. Not only will I be incorporating this into my classroom, but at home too! 

Another app that has been on my list to try and implement with my students is Chatterpix which allows users to take a picture of something, and then apply a mouth on whatever it is or object, and add a recording, so the mouth moves to whatever the user has recorded. It can get really silly, but this could be great for students to turn in their own artwork into functioning talking objects or portraits. This could be used in regular classroom settings and subjects as well! 
Tracy Hare listed a few other AR apps that would specifically work for all content areas as well, which were, Aurasma but now hpReveal, and Zappar


Want some more ideas of Augmented Reality apps to check out for any classroom? 
Click the link below: 

Would you implement Augmented Reality into you classroom, or have you?



References

DeGeurin, M. (2018). Internet artists invaded the MOMA with a guerrilla augmented reality exhibit. Retrieved from, https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xd3mg/moma-augmented-reality-exhibit-jackson-pollock-were-from-the-internet

Hare, T. (2018) Augmented Reality can be a reality in your art classroom. Retrieved from, https://theartofeducation.edu/2015/03/26/augmented-reality-can-be-a-reality-in-your-art-classroom/

Katz, M. (2018). Augmented Reality is transforming museums. Retrieved from, https://www.wired.com/story/augmented-reality-art-museums/

Macdonald, N.H. (2018). King Britt ushers in the next big thing in public art: augmented reality murals. Retrieved from, https://www.phillyvoice.com/king-britt-ushers-in-the-next-big-thing-in-public-art-augmented-reality-murals/

Comments

  1. The idea of using Augmented Reality in an art classroom seems like it would be very engaging and forward thinking for your students. The art show for Yunuen Esparza was extremely interesting. The use of AR in her art makes it more interactive and adds a whole other level of depth to the pieces she created. I love that students will have a chance to do the same, in a small scale, when using the Crayola Color Alive app. I'll have to look into the books and app for my 4 year old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corey,
      Thank you for reading my post! I am so glad someone else enjoyed the video on Yunuen Esparza's AR artwork. I never truly crossed my mind before how technology can enhance actual traditional, hands-on artwork until researching this emerging trend, and searching how it could effect my art room. I went to art school for graphic design originally, and couldn't stand not being able to create art by hand as much as having to sit on a computer creating, I started to feel stifled. Now I realize the best of both worlds is possible, and like you said, adds that whole next level of depth.

      Also, I am sure your four year old would love the Crayola Color Alive, mine is CONSTANTLY drawing, coloring, and using technology... I have no idea where she gets it (haha, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree).

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing! Your introduction was fantastic in helping me understand how augmented reality is already quite present. The infographic helped me to better understand the different types of augmented reality. I had no idea that augmented reality was so prevalent in art, this was very informative. I’ve used the Quiver app before, it is very cool, and I can see how it would help students in learning about connecting shapes in their artwork. You included many different resources to learn more about augmented reality, I’m interested in looking into these further! Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Manley,
      Thank you for reading my post! I am so glad that you were able to gain some insight on what Augmented Reality is and how we see it. I have never used the Quiver app, but your one step closer to experimenting and implementing AR's potential classroom benefits. I personally love Chatterpix to add a little bit of a silly spin to projects, and students demonstrating those speaking and listening standards a little easier (and informally).

      Delete
  3. This information about augmented reality is very thorough and interesting! It's amazing what can be done with art and AR. I have, unknowingly, experienced it with my kids' toys from chick fil a kids meals and an app that make their art come alive. I'm not sure how I would use it in Spanish class yet, but I think it would have a lot of cool applications for culture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely forgot about the Chick-fil-A toys! There is also AR incorporated on FlipGrid! I saw it today, didn't you post about utilizing Flipgrid in your classroom? There is an easy way you already implement.
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts